mosquitoes

The battle against biting mosquitoes renewed last night with city fogging crews making their way through town.

The effort will continue until the anticipated mosquito swarm is controlled, El Campo Public Works Kevin Thompson said.

The city is also putting out larvicide granules in drainage ditches and other areas of standing water.

“You can’t get them all, but we hope to cut them down. We can get 20 percent with the larvacides. That leaves 80 percent. Of that, we can get 60 to 70 percent (with fogging). We can’t get them all,” Thompson said.

Fogging will take place from 8 p.m. to midnight, covering the entire city twice by the end of the week.

The public can help in the battle against mosquitoes.

“The single most important thing the community can do to manage mosquito populations is to manage standing water in your environment,” Thompson said.

Area residents are asked to make sure everything from ruts that hold standing water to clogged gutters and downspouts are drained. Lawn or yard ornaments with standing water features should be drained and refilled on a regular basis along with bird baths.

The current wave is the result of last week’s rains which flooded most neighborhood streets and the standard breeding/hatching cycle of mosquitoes.

Generally, it’s five days between downpour and upswing in mosquito numbers.

“They always say five to 10 days. These guys were right on schedule. It was five days exactly,” Thompson said.

For comfort, it’s recommended people avoid being outside at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active.

The use of insect repellent is encouraged. State officials recommend those containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535, or oil of lemon eucalyptus/para-menthane-diol.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.