Grand Jury Indictments
(Note: An indictment is not an indication of guilt, but rather a citizen jury’s verdict that a prosecutor has enough evidence against a person to proceed with felony charges.)
Those facing trial include:
• Ray Sosa, 57, of 918 N. Liberty in El Campo for two counts of theft with two or more previous convictions on Sept. 7 and Aug. 22, 2019. He allegedly stole store merchandise and groceries.
Sosa has two misdemeanor theft convictions in Wharton County as well as felony convictions for a single count of unauthorized use of a vehicle on July 12, 2001, 16 counts of theft – March 21, 2012 , Oct. 11, 2012 and 14 counts of June, 11, 2015 – and burglary of a habitation on May 14, 2019. All crimes took place in Wharton County.
In a second grand jury action, Sosa was indicted for tampering with evidence and possession of a controlled substance on Dec. 1, 2020. In that case, he stands accused of having less than a gram of cocaine and dropping it on the floor of a police car in an attempt to impair an investigation.
• Carlos Villarreal Jr., 30, of 1415 W. Norris in El Campo for theft on Aug. 24, 2020. He allegedly stole clothing, accessories and electronics valued at more than $2,500.
• Carlos Ray Waddy, 34, of 402 Sycamore in Wharton for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle on Oct. 28, 2020.
Waddy has prior felony convictions for possession of marijuana on July 7, 2012, possession of a controlled substance with the intent to manufacture/deliver and abandoning or endangering a child on May 12, 2016, possession of a controlled substance on June 26, 2006, all in Wharton County as well as possession of a controlled substance on April 1, 2014 in Montgomery County.
• Thomas Helburt Warrant, 39, of 611 W. Monseratte in El Campo for theft with two or more previous convictions on Nov. 5, 2020. He allegedly stole skin care products, vitamins and dog treats.
Warrant has two prior misdemeanor theft convictions, one in Wharton County and one in Jackson County. He was convicted of felony theft on Dec. 14, 2017 in Jackson County.
• John Thomas White, 48, of 3618 CR 154 in Wharton for sexual assault of a child on May 27, 2020.
• Jennifer Leline Wiggins, 36, of 214 Ahldag in Wharton for burglary of a habitation on Nov. 12, 2020.
• Stanley Todd Wofford, 40, of 4901 Misty Land, No. 509, in Bay City for possession of a controlled substance on Aug. 20, 2020. He allegedly had more than a gram of methamphetamine.